HOME Forums Introduce Yourself Seeking to support teaching climate and energy across the curriculum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hello!
    I’m Don Haas (formerly, Don Duggan-Haas), the Director of Teacher Programming at the Paleontological Research Institution (PRI) in Ithaca, New York.

I’ve been a middle and high school science teacher, a professor of education, and, for the last 13 years, an informal science educator who works with educators across the educational system. Much of my work is in teacher professional development and curriculum materials development, and I’m co-author of The Teacher-Friendly Guide to Climate Change and The Science Beneath the Surface: A Very Short Guide to the Marcellus Shale.

I’m also on the leadership team for the CCEC.

Over the last several years, my interest in supporting the inter-disciplinary or multi-disciplinary teaching of climate and energy has grown substantially. I’m hoping to find more collaborators and connections to better meet this profoundly challenging need through the CCEC.

It’s challenging as the structure of schooling is so highly disciplinary, especially in grades 6 to 16, while the world’s most serious problems are so highly interdisciplinary. One strategy for addressing that problem is to do the work outside of school, in places like PRI’s Museum of the Earth and its Cayuga Nature Center, and in extra-curricular programs like Youth Climate Action Summits. Another strategy is to help teachers bring climate and energy more prominence in their curricula, and to support collaborations across disciplines. I’m working on both of these, but will admit that I find the second strategy more challenging.

If you’re interested in working on these issues with me, please reach out!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.