Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This discussion is the first follow-up to my original comments. I am not producing this discussion to gloat or demean any person. I intend to provide us as a group a different view of economic development in the low-income population. I chose to reach the untapped market as my topic because it is the one area that I have been given credit as an expert. It is also a missing link in the 2050 Greenhouse Gas Reduction goal for America and the entire global movement. While no one responded to my initial comments, I desire to get your feedback and scale up this Impact that I have created to become an asset for both the environmental and conservation industries.

So this posting will address a posting that I made in my online Cornell University Scaling up your Impact course. Yes, it also had to deal with my ability to reach the untapped market? The following is the flow of this conversation.

I Know How To Reach the Untapped Low-Income Inner-City Market
    discussion posted 11 days ago by Richard_Mabion

PANIC and Complex Contagion -Richard Mabion – Kansas City, Kansas

Question #1:
    How do the PANIC principles relate to the social networking/complex contagion (from week 2) explanations and recommendations? Are they saying the same thing using different languages? Do they add to each other?

My Answer:
    I really enjoyed reading this week’s assignments. It made me take some steps backward to my fondness for Ph.D. Carter Woodson’s book “The Miseducation of the Negro”, written in 1933. The social networking comments were similar to mine, and If not for my understanding of Ph.D. Woodson’s work, I could have just as easily given my agreement to what had been discussed. But because of the miseducated theory that Ph.D. Woodson used or discovered during his research; I have no choice but to share why I feel that way.
    When someone say that their research is a fact, I have learned to reject thoe theories simply because the person making that assumption has not understood the Miseducation of a Negro yet. So, when doing the research, that aspect was not one of the equations. Which again, is keeping me from agreeing with the author of this week’s reading.
    This concept for me is neither racial nor about Negroes (per-se). It has more to do with understanding low-level social, economic individuals, who are still being overlooked with an academic system that failed to understand what Ph.D. Woodson was trying to say.
    I do, however, want to give the author(s) their proper respect; I truly enjoyed the hell out of their work. I have made all kinds of notes and documents to uses in my line of work. And that series on the UK and their Poverty concerns have made me want to introduce myself to those authors. I made copies of their work, and when possible, will spend time reading them all. Beginning with that UK Poverty 2020/21, Why it is time to tell a new story about UK poverty, and then Spending Review: No plan to protect people in Poverty. These three articles stole my heart. I would love those authors to hear how what I have discovered can be done in America too.
    I know I have written a lot, but the reading this week hits home for me and my Impact.

Response: #1
    This is an impressive reflection! I hadn’t really thought about how these principles can/should be applied to efforts like you describe. I am reminded of a book I just read called The Righteous Mind in which the author, a researcher at Penn, described how his research revealed that students and teachers at his institution and others we surveyed turned out to have very different ways of seeing the world than those without college degrees. In fact, the number of people who think like academics is very low compared to the whole population. His point was that we need to better understand the moral reasoning of those who don’t think like us in order to get our foot in the door with our ideas. I am simplifying the hell out of this book BTW…he has several TED Talks that provide a brief overview.

Response #2
    Hi Richard I completely agree with you about empowerment. I am going to invite all members of my neighbourhood. In my view of point, we should “Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.” and this type of attitude helps us to invite everybody to join us in our project. I think everybody brings talents, abilities and capacities to our community and it gives us a chance to capability building.

Response #3
    Love it.
    posted 9 days ago

Response #4 From Richard Mabion
    Thank you – thank you- thank you, How can I get that book, and how can I meet that author? I have been trying from that bottom of society’s location you mentioned to either be heard or discovered to get my data added to a researcher -researching effort. This is my second time taking a Cornell online course; the first one got me introduced to a Drawdown Vice-president, who, like you was impressed with my work, and eventually was able to get me a panelist spot at their international conference in January 2021. A performance that got me the following feedback about my presentation:
    Crystal Chissell – Senior Director of Partnerships Wed, Jan 13, Hi Richard, Thank you again for participating in the conference. You made such an important contribution, and if I am not mistaken, you were the only speaker representing low-income communities in the US.

So help! What do I need to do to meet this professor at Penn?
    And thanks again for making my day…

Response #5
    Good FOR YOU. Bless you. Amen.
    posted 9 days ago by

Response # 6
    I like that you even talk about race. Climate Change effects all of us…but we are not all living in the same circumstances and we are not all Eurocentric in the way that we view the individual, their place in the community or what our individual and community value is in it in relation to climate change dialogue. So THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WORK THAT YOU DO! Amen. I’m not too articulate right now but hopefully I am making a little sense.

Response # 7
    – Richard Mabion – Kansas City, Kansas
    I think you made a lot of sense… Thank You!
    posted 6 days ago by Richard_Mabion

Response #8
    I have the exact same issue that people of my network are not well off enough to care about climate change. According to Maslo hierarchy of needs, some of human needs must be met before they can turn their attention toward others. So the biggest issue is convincing them to behave opposite of this hierarchy. As you mentioned instinct may have a role here but not for majority of them

Response # 9
    – Richard Mabion – Kansas City, Kansas
    Thank you for your response, if you have a chance to review our Cornell Facebook page, you will see my posts showing the beginning steps I am using to reach the college age immigrant students in my city. Just keep in mind, this is a first for most of the students. I stress, it is not just about serving others, it is also about community engagement too.

Response # 10
    I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this week’s topics. It was very interesting, especially the part where you mentioned the importance of how to be seen and how to be known among members of the community.

End of Responses:

I was very impressed with the caliber of responses I received. This is obviously a topic that needs to be discussed, and unless I misread the purpose for this CCEE group, especially the “CCEC Practice Conversations”. This is the perfect Practice in need of a Researcher or Researching funded project or at least a conversation to determine if that is a real possibility.

I repeat, Ihave found a way to reach the untapped market, and want to scale up my Impact to make an income (like everyone else) sharing it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.